The CSNE at the University of Washington sponsors a 10-week Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) on the Seattle campus during the summer. This program provides undergraduate students with opportunities to work on research projects with scientists and to take part in workshop training sessions in ethics, communications, and scientific presentation skills designed to provide the undergraduate scientist with a solid foundation for graduate study. Undergraduates will help with research in one of labs at the UW.
The 2018 REU program will start on June 12, 2018 (Tuesday) and end on August 17, 2018 (Friday).
The deadline for completed applications will be January 15, 2018. Applications for the summer 2018 REU program are NOW AVAILABLE.
REU Program Requirements
- Be a student at a college or university in the United States; students who have graduated from college before the start of the REU program are not eligible.
- Be 18 years old by the first day of the REU program.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. (or its territories).
- Devote 40 hours per week to the program.
- Not enroll in classes or hold other jobs during the day. Participants will be paid a stipend and will not receive academic credit for the research experience.
- Attend required weekly communications classes, lectures, seminars, focus groups, and workshops
What participants will receive:
- Involvement in an interdisciplinary research project with a team where researchers are working together to solve a common science problem.
- Access to lectures on ethics, communications, laboratory safety, and other select topics.
- The opportunity to take part in an interactive poster session at the end of the summer, and to present research findings to the CSNE research community.
- The opportunity to participate in a research symposium, at which undergraduate researchers give a 15-minute oral presentation and poster presentation describing their work and results to the CSNE community.
- A stipend of $5,000.
- Reimbursement of travel expenses to a maximum of $750.
- Housing on the host university campus (at no cost to the REU student).
REU Frequently Asked Questions (Updated: November 17, 2017)
If you have additional questions about the REU program, please contact Dr. Lise Johnson, CSNE University Education Manager.