Young Scholars Program (YSP)
The Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering (CSNE) at the University of Washington will sponsor a 10 week Young Scholars Program on the university's Seattle campus during the summer of 2014. High school students will be involved in ongoing research projects with researchers, and will have the opportunity to take part in workshop training sessions in ethics, communication skills, and scientific presentation skills designed to provide the student scientist with a solid foundation for future study.
Please note that while we consider a number of factors when choosing students for the YSP, we highly encourage student applicants from Cleveland, Franklin, and Chief Sealth High Schools within Seattle Public Schools.
Applications for the summer 2014 program are available now (Click here for the application form). The deadline for submitting applications is February 1st, 2014.
- Be a high school student.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S. (or its possessions).
- Devote 40 hours per week to the program during the 10 week session (June 23 – August 29, 2014). This is considered a full time commitment. You may not enroll in classes or hold other jobs during the day. Participants will be paid a stipend and will not receive academic credit for the research experience.
- Attend the weekly communication classes and all other required lectures, seminars, focus groups, and workshops.
- Participate in summer research symposiums at the end of the program where you will present on your experience in a research laboratory.
- Provide their own housing and transportation to the University of Washington.
What participants will receive:
- An opportunity to be involved in an interdisciplinary research project with a team of researchers working together to solve a common problem.
- Lectures about ethics, communications skills, laboratory safety, and other relevant topics.
- Experience preparing and presenting research results to the scientific community.
- A stipend of $5,000 for the 10 week program.
Please contact Kristen Bergsman (email@example.com), CSNE Pre-College Education Manager, with questions about the YSP.
- About Us
- News & Events